House of Shadows



















It's the warmest embrace that suffocates the heart. - Irina Petkov




The house of shadows obtained its form from the gentle embracing hand of Madam Ingres. I attempted to portray a design of feminine appearance and feel without literally using direct imagery. Instead I explored the properties of curves and their effect on walls and spaces. As curves are commonly associated with organic and natural elements like the female body, I realised that their use in my design added a softer feel to the rooms of the house. The SketchUp design and card model are entwined in that the model was a gradual improvemet of the initial sketch ideas.

The initial design in SketchUp showed how curves allowed a more gentle and warm light to penetrate the building, however I felt that there was too much glazing and open views to the surrounds of the house and decided to alter this in the card model. Originally the house was meant to be designed as a comfortable safe place for Madam Ingres and her new family, yet having lost a child once she has become very attached to her younger ones and couldn't bear to lose another. Thus the house became limited in views to the outside world and opened up to the centre of the secret courtyard.












The SketchUp model had no tower in it's design, yet while making the card model it began to take shape on its own. The exact appearance is not entirely resolved but I'm happy with the principles behind its existence, location and purpose.
It is located on the Ground Level as a meeting point of all the rooms and corridors and is the height of all three levels. It has the largest windows facing the external surroundings of the house. Upon entering the space beneath the tower, all attention is drawn upwards due to the scale of the windows. Finally, to the ceiling is attached a mirror which is intended to surprise and distract the person from the tempting views outside...

























I'm not quite sure if I'm allowed to make a few additions to my card and SketchUp photos or not using Photoshop but I thought it could add a bit more atmosphere and help get my idea accross.

0 comments: